how to migrate old config to new install?

Please post here if you have problems in using Wing FTP Server.
adamhh

how to migrate old config to new install?

Post by adamhh »

Currently we are running wingftp on linux but all of the software's files are owned by root.

For obvious security reasons, we'd like to change the user to be a different user.

Can all the wingftp software files be chowned in place to the user we want to own them, or would a complete new install be better?

we aren't running the server using a port under 1024 so we don't need to have root run it.

we do have everything already set up and configured the way we like it. is it possible to export from the old install and import to the new one? or is there a better way to do this?
FTP
Site Admin

Re: how to migrate old config to new install?

Post by FTP »

You don't need to install it clearly, just try to start wftpserver with another user.
adamhh

Re: how to migrate old config to new install?

Post by adamhh »

FTP wrote:You don't need to install it clearly, just try to start wftpserver with another user.

While i appreciate this answer as an easy way to solve the problem of running it as a different user, it doesn't address the security aspect of my question.

Our server is available to the internet, so running as root is not ideal. I am just starting out looking after this server, and this would definitely not be the preferred way to set it up.

The other reason i didn't mention for doing a clean install is to get it out of the main system directory structure. i would prefer to install it to a mount point so it is by itself.

if i do a clean install, how do i get my current configuration loaded/imported into the new install?