Enable domain name in IP Access list

Post here if you have some suggestions or you want to request a new feature.
vbien

Enable domain name in IP Access list

Post by vbien »

Presently one can only type in IP addresses. The inconvenience with this often occurs when attempting to log in from my client's computers which do not have fixed IP addresses. For these I have created Dyndns domain names which tracks when the ISP dynamically assigned IP addresses change. Since for security I have blocked access to my Wing FTP server except to nominated IP addresses, from time to time, I have to manually update the IP Access list to reflect the changed IP address of my client's computer to allow access to the server.

Therefore it would be good if a future release of the product can allow access from specified domain name whose underlying IP address changes. Thanks.
FTP
Site Admin

Re: Enable domain name in IP Access list

Post by FTP »

I think it is impossible to get the domain name of the client computer, how do you think about it?
vbien

Post by vbien »

No that is not correct. I just pinged one of my client's computers' dyndns domain address and back comes its current IP address. Well I don't know what is available in Windows or Linux but on my OS/2 Warp 4.52 computer it has a command "hosts" which if you type hosts <IP of a client> back will come its domain name if it has one. Anyway I'm talking about typing into Wing FTP server's IP list the domain name, so I'm trying to tell it the domain name and want it to ascertain the actual IP and allow the client to connect.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

I think what you said is Reverse DNS, it is not supported by all the client, and it will spend much time to handle it.
vbien

Post by vbien »

Sorry I don't want to get into an argument here. The client(s) play no role handling requests (from the server?). All the server wants to know, whether to accept connection or not, is whether the IP address matches one in the allowed list. (Just to be clear I'm talking about the IP Access list in Settings under a [my] domain under Domains in the Wing FTP Server Administrator. Presently you type-in actual IP addresses. If the client is from one of the IP addresses the server accepts the connection request.).

What I want is for the server to accept connections from a client whose ISP assigns an IP addresses dynamically, i.e from time to time its IP address is different depending which line the client happens to get when its modem connects to the ISP, What the Dyndns (look this up on Google or whatever if you are not familiar with this service) service provides is the ability to use a fixed specific domain name such as joeblog.dyndns-office.com which is mapped to whatever IP address happens to be assigned to the client (Dyndns provides an updater software which runs on the client to regularly update the mapping of the dyndns domain name to the client's current IP address). So therefore if I can meaningfully type in such a dyndns domain name into the IP Access list then the client will always be able to connect to the server without my having to manually update its current IP address. Presently I have typed in a Dyndns domain name but Wing FTP does not recognise it (and it does not reject it as an invalid entry either).

That should not be too hard to do. Yes it is a reverse DNS lookup but that doesn't involve the client much if at all.

I'm surprised I've had to spell this all out.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

I know what you said, it means reverse DNS lookup. But current version doesn't support it, maybe we will consider it in the future version.
vbien

Post by vbien »

Thank you.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

Thanks for your suggestion too.