Some questins about WingFTP Server

Please post here if you have problems in using Wing FTP Server.
Razorblade

Some questins about WingFTP Server

Post by Razorblade »

Hello

currently I am evaluating the trial version of WingFTP Server.
My OS is Windows Server 2008 R2, WingFTP Server 3.8.9 with MySQL user database.

1. The transfers are really slow. I only get about 60 MiB/s via Gb LAN. The hard drives do not seem to be the bottleneck because they are attached to a hardware raid controller and can do >250MiB/s r/w.
What can I do to increase the download/upload speed?
With my Linux FTP server the tranfer speeds were about 100 MiB/s

2. The CPU load while transfering files is quite high - taskmanager shows around 50% for WingFTP process. Is this normal?

3. I am unable to delete directories I previously created. There's an error message saying "invalid directory name". So I am able to create a directory (e.g. test) but afterwards I am unable to delete it. In the permissions pane of the user/group I have checked every single item.

4. With another FTP client (Total Commander) I am even unable to create a directory - although permissions would permit it. When I try to create a directory there's a message saying: "direrctory not created"
FTP
Site Admin

Re: Some questins about WingFTP Server

Post by FTP »

Question 1 and question 2: 60MB/s is normal, it is depended on your CPU, if your CPU is fast enough, then the transfer will increase.

Question 3 and question 4: Does the folder name contain any special character? You had better try another ftp client software which supports UTF-8, like our FTP Rush.
Razorblade

Post by Razorblade »

1 and 2: That doesn't sound too good.

3 and 4: No there are no special characters and my FTP client does support utf8. I tried with several names like "test" "test1" "test_2" "asdf" :-)

One additional point to 3 and 4: When I try to copy a directory to the FTP server that already exists, the transfer stops and I am disconnected. Also I am unable to upload directories that hold one or more subdirectories.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

Hi,

For 1 and 2, you can try to add the transfer buffer size of WingFTP. You can set it to 60000(default is 32768)
How can you compare transfer speed of WingFTP on Windows to some FTPServer on Linux? First the OS are different, and the two servers may have different hardware. Please install WingFTP Linux version on your Linux box.

For 3 and 4, which client you used? Maybe your some settings are wrong. So please send the logs and data to our at: support@wftpserver.com" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow. Thanks.
Razorblade

Post by Razorblade »

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: I migrated from Linux to Windows - so it is exactly the same hardware (board, cpu, disks) - except for the RAM - I upgraded to 4GiB (same specs)
So it is quite difficult to install WingFTP on my Linux box ;-) But I will try that buffer thing.

As soon as I am at home I will send or post the logs.

I tried Filezilla client, gFTP and Total Commander. (Filezilla and gFTP on a Linux client, Filezilla and Total Commander on a Windows client)
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

I think Linux is more efficient than Windows in some situation. So I think it is normal.
noblemis

Post by noblemis »

That is not normal. Linux is more efficient in a lot of ways but I have been using Windows FTP servers for years and never had issues with slow transfers. The new company I work for didn't want to use Windows FTP so they chose your product to replace a Linux FTP. Transfer speeds outside of the office range from 50 to 80KB which is dramatically slower than it should be. The server is a Quad Core 4G of RAM on a 1G Cisco switch to a 50Mb internet pipe. I adjusted the transfer buffer speed to 60000 but haven't seen any improvement. Any other ideas? WingFTP doesn't have any restrictions built into the code base does it?

Thanks
Mike
Noble Systems
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

noblemis wrote:That is not normal. Linux is more efficient in a lot of ways but I have been using Windows FTP servers for years and never had issues with slow transfers. The new company I work for didn't want to use Windows FTP so they chose your product to replace a Linux FTP. Transfer speeds outside of the office range from 50 to 80KB which is dramatically slower than it should be. The server is a Quad Core 4G of RAM on a 1G Cisco switch to a 50Mb internet pipe. I adjusted the transfer buffer speed to 60000 but haven't seen any improvement. Any other ideas? WingFTP doesn't have any restrictions built into the code base does it?

Thanks
Mike
Noble Systems
50-80 KB/s is not normal of course, but I think it is caused by the internet speed mostly. I suggest you test it with your local machine, then it won't be effected by the internet speed.
jmc5018

Post by jmc5018 »

Hi I have question that I can't find a solution to anywhere. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to ftp servers. I currently have a webpage hosted from my house on an apache server. All I really want to do is have a link on my website that links to my ftp server. I guess the apache server and the wingftp server are tied to the same ip address. I'm wondering what I should point the website link to, to pull up the ftp server. Is there an index.html file that the link should point to and if so does anyone know where that is?
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

jmc5018 wrote:Hi I have question that I can't find a solution to anywhere. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to ftp servers. I currently have a webpage hosted from my house on an apache server. All I really want to do is have a link on my website that links to my ftp server. I guess the apache server and the wingftp server are tied to the same ip address. I'm wondering what I should point the website link to, to pull up the ftp server. Is there an index.html file that the link should point to and if so does anyone know where that is?
Maybe you should have a look on this KB article: http://www.wftpserver.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=740" rel="nofollow