Compress and Decompress files/folders

Post here if you have some suggestions or you want to request a new feature.
andrewort

Compress and Decompress files/folders

Post by andrewort »

Hello,

It can be added to the Web Client (and also the FTP Rush) functionality to decompress files?
Last edited by andrewort on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTP
Site Admin

Re: Compress and Decompress files/folders

Post by FTP »

About decompressing zip files, you should check out this post:
http://www.wftpserver.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68
wakatake

Post by wakatake »

This is a stupid way of doing things. People wants to be able to decompress any archives on their own free will and not leave it to some automated script to perform the task.

If you can add Cut, Paste functionalities in the web client, is it really that difficult a feature to add options to the FTP server whereby you can specify the location of the utility like WinRAR and have it perform the job.

You do not want to compromise but yet you act like as though Wing FTP Server is everything. It's not. Back to reality. The features listed are about the same as others and nothing much more. Based on your previous replies, its always "You can do X feature on your own by doing Y hack". This is not a rant. Thank you.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

Hi wakatake,

Your complaint mostly is reasonable and we are ready to accept and improve. Thank you. Yet we hope you could understand the reality that we are an FTP developer. Professional compress/decompress software like WinRAR, 7-zip are very powerful and they are independent software. It is not possible for us to develop similar functionality on the web client, for this is much more complex than the Cut/Paste functionality as you mentioned. We believe it will be a better idea to spend this time on the enhancement of Wing FTP Server itself. So, though we also know that this feature will facilitate the use of Wing FTP, the total work is too much that we cannot make the promise now. We may consider developing this functionality in the future.
andrewort

Post by andrewort »

I also that many of the features here proprostas this forum could be implemented in Wing FTP Server, because it is a great ftp server, if it is only now that everything that you need to do is script will not do anything, I say this because if you need script for a really interesting feature (such as compress and decompress files and directories) that a person will buy an ftp server? She'll feel much better to get a script on the Internet web client (which has this feature) and use a free FTP server ready.

Example:

It was proposed here in the forum is not an option for editing the''title page''of the web client in the login screen (as for example already have in serv-u), just that the forum user getting upset because the answer is that he had to manually edit it, now I ask you during the day-day of a professional (or even an experienced user) it will be really useful to buy a ftp server where a simple functionality will have to manually edit files from the client?

Frankly if they continue with this attitude the software of you will be just another competitor to other ftp server (like Serv-u, Titan, ...) and not the best ftp server.

I love the Serv-u one but I'm not brave he is buying (or even make a deal) because when I report a bug boring, or even an interesting new feature or not answered the email (if not answered comes with the answer to the question I did) or simply disregarded.

Nowadays it is difficult to be an innovative and profitable, what happens is that along the way (or at the beginning) people forget what really needs to take a product: quality, intelligence, compatibility, functionality and support technical efficiency.

There is something else and the translation from Portuguese of Brazil is not very good, has some things that make no sense in translation.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

Hi andrewort,

We are glad to get your response. We can see that you are a loyal supportor of Wing and your comments on the product and the service are sincere. We take the suggestions and feedback of users seriously because we believe they will help us to grow and become the best FTP server developer. Here we want to tell you that the functionality to “decompress files” is already under development and we expect it to be published soon. So you see, we really value the advice and needs of users. It is just that it takes time to fulfil a promise.

Back to the scripts issue you wrote about. We take the script support as an important feature of our product because it can help to satisfy various needs of the users, while it is not realistic to equip those various functions into the software ifself, for the needs of a vast group of urses are unpredictable. To design a product good for everyone but best for none, or a product best for most people, is a choice we have to make. It is true that the Lua scripts is not easy to handle for every user. It requests certain knowledge of computer programming. That’s why we offer to help certain users to write the lua scripts upon their request. BTW, we can also help users to customize their web client interface.

We agree with you that the key factors for the growth of product/compay are: quality, intelligence, compatibility, functionality and support technical efficiency. And we will keep working hard to achieve every goal.

Regarding the Portuguese of Brazil issue, we guess you might still be using the old version of Wing. The language is newly updated in version 3.5.0 released on May 27, 2010. Please download the latest version. If you find any questions with the new transliation of Portuguese, please also feel free to let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
andrewort

Post by andrewort »

Hello,

Thank you for the reply, I'm glad to have noticed the
My real intention is to help software and
company. Just a note my original post I put
several other options in this feature of unpacking
files (wish it would have the option to also compress
files and directories, as it makes it very
more efficient for a user or as a developer
compress a directory and download in zip format, or zip
tgz, tar .., instead of having to download a file
file in the directory)

I understand that script in Lua are more efficient at
matter of being able to do many things without being
limited options (provided that the person understands the
subject). I just think that changing the "Page Title" should
lawful general options is available at the domain, because it is
comodo is much easier for both developers
as for end users.

It would also be interesting as there are in the "FTP JSCAPE
SERVER "to set a url to logout the user, or
can be set when the user clicks
"Logout" to be redirected to a url specified in
options field, this makes it much easier
customize the web client to what each type of company,
it may be time to configure the "logout" the url
to be the company's intranet for example.

Anyway, I am not a developer, most know the problems that
face (technical, end users, user
advanced, or even lay people) on the day to day.
andrewort

Post by andrewort »

Hello,

Thanks for listening to my suggestion and add to the final product. I am very happy with it, know that you really care about the users and / or customers.

:-)