active mode connections

Please post here if you have problems in using Wing FTP Server.
stormsurge

active mode connections

Post by stormsurge »

does Wing FTP work in active mode or just passive, or both? Using pasv mode with a client I have no trouble, but I'm having problems connecting to it using active mode (ie. from a command line, script or client with pasv turned off). It will make the connection but stall when trying to list the directories etc. Our apache FTP server doesn't have this problem and the firewall configuration is the same for both FTP servers.

Andrew
FTP
Site Admin

Re: active mode connections

Post by FTP »

I guess its your client side issue, if you don't believe, please try to connect our demo server.

Username: demo-user
Password: demo-user
stormsurge

Post by stormsurge »

when I connect via dos command line to your demo server it works fine. Still no luck connecting to our test Wing FTP server however. Could this be a limitation of running Wing in demo mode (unregistered)?
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

Hi Stormsurge,

Active mode means the server will proactively connect the client when doing list or transferring files, while the pasv mode means the client initiates the connect to the server.

By default, WingFTP will use port 20 to connect the client. However, when port 20 is used by other app, WingFTP will have to try another port. Port 20 is generally regarded as safe and trustful by most firewalls. So when the server uses a port other than port 20, the firewall maybe label it as untrustful and refuse the connection. In order to make the setting work, you should be sure that port 20 is not occupied by other app.

Hope this can help you solve the problem, if not, you can email us and tell us your server address, the FTP username and password, we will test it for you.
stormsurge

Post by stormsurge »

I've manged to get it working. Here is the situation:
Wing FTP is installed on CentOS, which had 2 IP's bound to a single network card.
eth0 = xx.xx.xx.63
eth0:0 = xx.xx.xx.64
WingFTP was then told to use .64 for it's listeners (ftp and http). CentOS httpd was bound to xx.63 for some regular web server work.
This when I had the issues with active mode connections.
When I switched the IP bindings so eth0 was now xx.64 and eth0:0 was xx.63 everything works. So it seems like Wing FTP just needed to be tied to the first eth0 configuration for some reason.
FTP
Site Admin

Post by FTP »

I'm glad to hear about your success, and I guess your issue may be related with firewall settings.